As a member of the Shanghai community, Shanghai Expatriate Association encourages its members to contribute in some way to those in whose homeland we reside. As an organization, we donate available funds to charities chosen by the outreach liaison and approved by the executive board. We also promote awareness of the many charities in Shanghai through features in our magazine, Shanghai Courier, complimentary tables at our monthly coffees, small group sponsored raffles and other means. On this page information about the charities which SEA helps support. For more information, contact the charity of your interest.
Morning Tears is an international non-profit, non-religious, non-political organization, founded by Koen Sevenants in 1998 that helps children of imprisoned parents in China and in Cambodia. We help children by providing home-like housing, schooling and psychological care and through fundraising, organizing charity events and participating in bazaars, where we sell donated products.
How to Help:
- Sponsor a child
- Assist with event management
- Item hunting for bazaars
For more information please visit their homepage: www.morningtears.org/china
Xinxing Aid for Street Children
Xinxing (New Star) Aid for Street Children is a non-profit organization that assists children in difficult circumstances in cooperation with government partners in Northwest China. Xinxing provides early intervention, housing, temporary guardians and family education to help them out of difficult circumstances, reintegrate them into families and communities and instill confidence for their future.
How to Help:
- Make a donation or visit their website for more information: en.xinxingaid.org.cn
Heart to Heart Shanghai
Heart to Heart Shanghai is a non-profit community outreach organization composed entirely of volunteers who donate their time to give support to Chinese children from extremely poor families who are undergoing heart surgery. Currently, we
- Sponsor extremely poor children from the provinces for heart surgery
- Oversee and volunteer in 2 hospital playrooms 7 days a week
- Donate school libraries in poor rural areas
How to Help :
- Knit sweaters for the special “Heart2Heart” bears that we sell
- Help to assemble “Heart2Heart” bears
- Buy 1 or more “Heart2Heart” bears
- Volunteer time with children in one of the hospital playrooms
- Donate cash or new/used clothing, blankets, books, etc.
For more information, visit their website: www.heart2heartshanghai.net
Shanghai Sunrise raises funds for high school, university and college scholarships to Shanghai area students from poor, working families. Established in 1995, Shanghai Sunrise is a non-profit volunteer-led organization under the auspices of the Shanghai Charity Foundation. Their mission is to equip disadvantaged students through education to lift themselves out of poverty, achieve fulfilling careers and be inspired to give back to the community.
How to Help:
- Sponsor a student for 1 or more years of high school (3 years total)
- Sponsor a student for 1 or more years of college (4 years total)
- Make a donation or purchase a Shanghai Sunrise gift item
When you sponsor a student you have the opportunity to meet and correspond with your student.
For more information visit their website at: www.shanghaisunrise.com.
Stepping Stones was founded in 2006 in order to organize volunteers to teach English in Shanghai’s primary schools for migrants in response to requests from schools’ principals, which struggled to provide a reasonable standard of English teaching to their students. Stepping Stones recruits, trains, coordinates, and supports hundreds of volunteers to teach thousands of students in more than 30 migrant schools and community centers in Shanghai and Zhejiang province and more than a dozen schools in rural China (Jiangsu, Anhui, Henan and Zhejiang provinces).
How to Help:
- Volunteer. Many opportunities are available and are listed on the Stepping Stones website.
For more information visit their website at www.steppingstoneschina.net.